Monday, March 31, 2014

Swimming through Rewrites- SCBWI Conference on the Horizon

I just kicked my backstory out of the front seat in my YA after reading Writing Irresistible Kidlit by Mary Kole. I've weaved some of it in her journal and through dialogue and wondered if it was still too much for the first chapter. But after reading Julia give the history of her friendship with Amy, in Jan-Phillip Sendker's A Well-Tempered Heart,I think it's okay. 

I wrote the first draft before editing with my MG novel. My magical realism YA, in first person, is not going that route. I keep swimming back for more rewrites. I have to set limits or my first draft will never reach shore. This is what I'll be working on at SCBWI Spring Writer's Retreat in the Wino country ; ) Temecula. I wonder if everyone will have a glass during first pages? I think it's a good idea, don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment