Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Inspiration: My Grandparents' Trunk

Last Saturday, my boyfriend and I cozied up on the couch to watch "Midnight in Paris." I love Woody Allen's quirky characters and I was looking forward to discover some new ones. Owen Wilson fit right in Woody's family but I was disappointed with the other members in the beginning. The time travel scene is where the film began for me; it was extraordinary- loved it!! And those  members in the beginning worked for me in the end. This film triggered memories of photos I had seen of my grandmother on the beach in the 1920s.

On Monday, I ventured out to visit my mom and dig through the photo albums buried in my grandparents' trunk that use to be on their car, back in the day. I hit the jackpot, not only did I find several old photo albums to scan including those 1920 s beach photos, but also I found inside a brown paper bag, my grandfather's Mason hat which was folded up in a satin pouch and apron which I thought had been given away. Under the flap of his apron was the date he joined 1/9/1928 along with a "passing date" and "raised" date. On the back of the apron were blood stains! Ooo! Intriguing, don't you think? Next I discovered one of his masonic ring with the inscription "virtus junxit, mors non separabit." which means "What virtue unites, death will not separate." A little mystery and old photos = inspiration for one of my next  books! It's a rainy day so back to my Cea of rewrites of my middle grade book where I see land once again!

No comments:

Post a Comment