Saturday, February 16, 2013

Every Rejection is One Less 'No' to a 'Yes'

"Every rejection is one less no to a yes," an acquaintance of mine said to a group of young musicians. Nice to know this as a writer. I received my rejection letter from Francis Gilbert of Doubleday Children's books, a Random House imprint, a couple of weeks ago. She is resurrecting Doubleday here in America which can't be easy. When I got a personal letter, I was pleasantly surprised. Upstart Crow Literary Agency felt like a form letter which was my first and it wasn't bad. Then I received a nice email from Abigail Samoun of Red Fox Literary Agency, who said my book had a sweet, classic feel but she didn't fall in love with it. Love is what we all want. Falling in love can happen fast or it can take some time. But you want it to be a lasting love. So, today I paddle boarded with the dolphins and next week I will venture into new waters for that yes-the editor and/or agent that will fall in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment