Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Writing What I Imagine-Instead of What I Know

Last night's news made my heart sink as I watched a bomb go off during Boston's Marathon. As horrifying as this was, it's worse on the other side of the world. According to the United Nations, the two year civil war (only 2 years!) in Syria has now a death toll of 70,000 people-adults and children. My heart plunges deeper into these forsaken waters of mankind. There is only so much the heart can take. As a child-age ten to be exact, I was exposed to the atrocities being committed to my best friend...sexual and verbal abuse by her father. Sworn to secrecy, I told no one. There was no Oprah Winfrey Show back then. In the midst of this, I lined up to see Star Wars and loved reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I suppose this is why I choose imaginary over reality, when it comes to writing for children. Escaping to a magical world in a book can inspire hope and ignite imagination in the mind and heart of a child, and sometimes,even as an adult. Wasn't it Star Trek that inspired the invention of the cell phone?

No comments:

Post a Comment