Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Awesome Summer Read

"The Start of Me and You" is a YA that I picked up at the LA Book Fair. I was fortunate to hear the author, Emery Lord, speak about writing, life and her book. It was her enthusiasm that had me reading the inside flap and purchasing my signed copy. Emery brilliantly executed a story line that I would have never thought of, and I'm someone who has been going to funerals since I was six. I've been to more funerals than weddings, but not to my first Love's. This is what Paige, in "The Start of You and Me" had to contend with after her first boyfriend died in a swimming accident. The roller coaster ride begins after Paige decides to rejoin the real world. We feel her ups and downs with her flirtation with an old crush, her parents getting back together, and facing her fears from swimming, to falling in love, to joining the Quizbowl. And then there's Max, the wild card,or rather, the nerd card. I admired him the most and loved Paige's relationship with him. This kept me turning the page. A touching and fun read.

No comments:

Post a Comment